Fremont .O. International Cutlery Company Straight Razor

P1000216.jpg
P1000217.jpg
P1000219.jpg
P1000216.jpg
P1000217.jpg
P1000219.jpg

Fremont .O. International Cutlery Company Straight Razor

160.00

The International Cutlery Company, 1890-1917, was a division of well-known Clauss Cutlery Co. of Fremont, OH. By 1919 Cluass Shear merged with Henkel Company (not to be confused with the German, J.A. Henckels) to form the Henkel-Clauss Company.  At this time the merger created a company with over 1,000 employees and had the largest payroll in the United States at that time. After the conclusions of WWI the company struggled as German shear manufacturers were permitted to export wares duty-free.  Even with German goods being sold half price the American town of Fremont, OH. still operated 25 cutlery works and was known as the "cutlery center of the world." Automation post WWII and cheaper goods being produced from Europe took its toll on the company. After changing hands several times the Clauss brand remains in use today however a long way from it's origins with two german brothers producing cutlery in Ohio.  Other well known items from Clauss's heyday are "Star Brand Shears".

This restoration was done with great care.  Many restorers avoid removal of the vintage plastic pinned to the shank and tang as it's very fragile.  However, by leaving these covers in place a great deal of rust and grime is never remediated potentially shortening the life of the razor. This blade was not only sanded to remove rust and polished but these covers were removed to completely restore the steel.  The covers were re-installed, pinned carefully and the maker's mark darkened to make it more legible. 

The original scales were deep cleaned, sanded to remove any blemishes that would impact the razor's aesthetic and pinned using new brass pins. 

This razor will arrive expertly honed, sterilized and shave ready. 

Happy shaving!

Add To Cart